How do I register?
Register online by clicking the "Register for Camp" button located on the left of this page. Register before April 1, 2017 to receive the "Early Bird" discount. Payment is due in full by June 1, 2017.
Who may attend the camp?
The curriculum is designed for the high school student interested in athletic training / sports medicine. Past campers have ranged in age from 12 to 18.
How do I know if I should be in the advanced or basic group?
We ask for your experience level so that we have an idea of the makeup of the campers. While we offer separate sessions for most topics, campers may attend either the basic or advanced session depending on their comfort level. Some attend basic sessions on certain topics and advanced sessions on other topics. Camp instructors will also assist campers in deciding which session to attend. Typically, advanced campers have been to our camp or a previous camp in the past and / or have at least one year of experience as an athletic training student / aide in high school.
Will I have a roommate?
Most likely, but occasionally we have campers that are without roommates due to odd numbers. If you requested a specific roommate and he/she requested you, every effort will be made to accommodate your request. If you’re coming alone, we’ll pair you up with someone of your gender and in your age range.
What do I need to bring with me?
- Required Medical Forms - YOU CANNOT ATTEND CAMP WITHOUT THESE!
- Click here: Medical Forms
- FAX THE COMPLETED FORMS TO 512-232-5054 PRIOR TO JUNE 16, 2017.
- In addition, you may wish to bring a hard copy of the forms with you to registration.
- PLEASE NOTE: **If you have had a physical exam in the 14 months preceding the first day of camp, you will not need to obtain another one. Simply attach the copy to the required medical forms.
- YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE EITHER 1) A COPY OF A PHYSICAL EXAM, OR 2) THE PRE-ACTIVITY CLEARANCE EXAMINATION: PHYSICIAN AUTHORIZATION" FORM SIGNED BY A PHYSICIAN, BUT NOT BOTH.**
- Umbrella - we walk from the dormitories to Belmont Hall and DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium (where the camp sessions are held). If it rains, you’ll need an umbrella.
- Linens (sheets, blanket, pillow, pillow case, towel, etc.) - beds at The Callaway House are either full size or twin size. To ensure your bedding is appropriate, please bring full size sheets and/or blankets. Some campers prefer sleeping bags. Remember, linens are not provided by the camp or the dorm so you must bring your own.
- Toiletries - soap and shampoo are NOT provided by the dorm.
- Alarm clock - we do not provide wake up calls!
- Comfortable clothing – shorts and t-shirts are most appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and jeans / slacks make it difficulty for campers to participate in the labs. Comfortable walking shoes or sandals are also beneficial. A swimsuit and towel are recommended.
- Medications – please bring any medications that you take on a regular basis with you – including Tylenol or Advil, etc. Our staff can only provide medications that are accompanying the camper and with written permission.
- Money – while campers will not need money, most bring spending money for late night snacks, a trip to the Co-Op bookstore, etc. Campers that park on campus will also be charged a parking fee that is not included in the camp fee. Parking is available in The Callaway House garage; the daily rate varies. Typical charges are $20 or more per day are must be paid to the parking attendant. There will be a $25.00 fee charged for lost room key fobs. These fees must be paid directly to The Callaway House at the time of the incident, or at check out, and are subject to change without notice.
- Camera – many campers take pictures of fellow campers, the counselors and the campus / facilities.
- Fan – the dormitories are air-conditioned, however some campers have brought fans with them also. The room temperatures are typically comfortable.
- Props or materials for Talent Show - on the last evening of camp we host a talent show and pizza party for campers. It has become a camper favorite! If you have a special talent and plan to participate in the talent show, please consider any props you may need and bring them with you (e.g., guitar, playing cards, music, wigs, clothing, etc.).
*** PLEASE NOTE: YOU CANNOT ATTEND CAMP IF YOU HAVE NOT SUBMITTED THE REQUIRED MEDICAL FORMS ***
Things to leave at home:
- Weapons, drugs, alcohol, and tobacco - including cigarettes and smokeless tobacco.
- Expensive items - such as jewelry, video game systems, computers, and radios. The dormitories are safe and secure, but there is no need to risk losing or damaging expensive items. The Longhorns Sports Medicine Camp is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged items.
Where do we go for registration?
Camp registration and check in will be held at our residence hall, The Callaway House located at 505 W 22nd St, Austin, TX 78705.
Camp check out will occur at the same location.
*** REGISTRATION/CHECK-IN IS FROM 3:00 - 4:30 PM ON FRIDAY JUNE 23, 2017 AT THE CALLAWAY HOUSE ***
*** CHECK-OUT IS AT 10:00 AM ON MONDAY JUNE 26, 2017 ***
*** IF YOU HAVE NOT FAXED REQUIRED MEDICAL FORMS PRIOR TO REGISTRATION, PLEASE BRING WITH YOU AT THAT TIME. ***
Do we stay overnight in a dormitory?
Yes, housing is provided for resident campers at The Callaway House. Rooms are air-conditioned, and house either two or four campers. Each room has a shared living room and private bathroom. The Callaway House provides 24-hour security, and camp counselors is assigned to each floor. For more information on The Callaway House, please visit their website, www.callawayhouseaustin.com
Where do we park?
Parking is available in the garage at The Callaway House. The entrance to the garage is on Nueces Street between 21st and 22nd Streets.
Commuters and campers that drive themselves to campus will have to park their vehicles in the garage. The garage charges for parking – typically $20 (or more) per day for overnight parking. Parking fees are NOT included in the camp fees - the camper is responsible for the parking fees. For safety reasons, resident campers will not be allowed to leave camp without written permission from their parent.
Is transportation provided to/from camp?
No. Camp policy prohibits camp staff from providing transportation to/during/from camp except in case of medical emergency. For campers arriving into Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, transportation via taxi or Super Shuttle is suggested.
Where should commuters be dropped off / picked up?
Unless directed otherwise, please drop-off commuters at The Callaway House. Our staff will inform the campers of where to meet us each morning - typically in the main lobby. Commuter campers should also be picked up from The Callaway House at the end of each day.
How do I get in touch with my child in case of an emergency?
The phone number for the front desk of The Callaway House is 512-582-0200. Cell phone numbers for the camp directors and counselors will be given to the campers and their parents at the time of check in, and can be found in the "Camp Information Packet.".
What is the difference between the camp t-shirt and the Texas Sports Medicine t-shirt?
All campers will receive a complimentary Longhorns Sports Medicine Camp t-shirt. The camp t-shirt has the Longhorn logo on the back with the words "Longhorns Sports Medicine Camp" on the front. Over the past years, we've had many campers request a "Texas Sports Medicine" t-shirt like the ones that our staff and students wear. We now offer Texas Sports Medicine hoodies, t-shirts, shorts, and hats. Sorry, but we can not substitute a Texas Sports Medicine t-shirt for a camp t-shirt. If you want Texas Sports Medicine gear, please indicate so on your registration form and include the cost with your registration. All purchases must be made online, prior to camp. No merchandise will be available for sale during the camp.
Wear what the UT Athletic Trainers wear!